While winter seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to bring sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 239-244-3439. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Naples weather.