With warmer days beginning to seem a little more realistic and the hope of spring in the Naples air, many people are already looking forward to the vacations they have planned in the upcoming months. So as those trips begin to get a little closer and you kickoff your spring break prep, be sure to get your home ready for you to be gone. From energy savings to safety considerations, keep these few tips in mind as you head off for a little rest and relaxation.
- Invest in timers – getting timers for your lights gives you the opportunity to make it appear as though you’ve never left. Adding timers to a few lights around your house and setting them to follow your normal schedule can make it look as though you’re just going about your everyday business, throwing off would-be criminals.
- Consider a sitter – whether it’s a friend or a family member, consider having someone drop in to check on your house while you’re away. And just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean that you can forget about maintaining your home. That’s why it’s helpful to have a house sitter keep an eye on things. Plus, it also gives you the chance to take advantage of some energy savings by having them ensure your thermostat is off and your windows and doors are sealed up tight.
- Think before you share – before you go posting from the airport that you’re off to Cancun for a week or so, think about whether it’s necessary to post such a thing. After all, it doesn’t just tell your friends and family that you’re gone, but also alerts potential criminals that you’re not home.
- Stop the mail – a simple, but effective way to protect against thieves. Plus, you can put a hold on your mail online now, making it really easy to do even if you forget before boarding your plane.
- Pull the plug – by now most people understand that electricity is still being used even when a product isn’t in-use, so why not unplug your smaller electronic devices while you’re out of the picture? It’s an easy way to improve energy savings, and when you unplug your garage door, it can also help protect your home.
- Adjust your thermostat – it’s another way to increase your energy savings and makes a ton of sense. Turning your thermostat to a setting such as vacation mode keeps you from paying for heating and cooling while you’re gone too. And with all of the digital thermostats available, you could easily arrange for your thermostat to have your home back to optimal comfort as you come back home.
Of course these aren’t the only ways to make the most of energy savings or keep your home protected, but they’re easy to add to your spring break prep list. So if you have any questions about these tips or are interested in maintaining total home comfort with a new thermostat, give Speedy Air Conditioning in Naples a call at 239-244-3439.