Anyone who’s ever had to wait for a delivery to show up understands it can be an irritating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a crucial piece of HVAC equipment like a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, many people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to be installed. If you’re considering upgrading your existing system with something like furnace installation in Naples, it may be a good idea to order sooner rather than later.
Current shortages are a result of multiple problems throughout the supply chain. We’ll explore how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to reduce the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Standard HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Generally this is better for homeowners, as this means more convenient heating and cooling. But recent problems in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be assembled and shipped. There are several reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, such as:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As workers continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and additional safety precautions have somewhat contributed to the backlog. A few extra days here and there accumulates over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: International supply chains are designed for optimal efficiency and can take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials shift. While companies seek alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs have made steady, if slow progress.
- Rise in Costs of Raw Materials: Metals including steel and copper are vital for efficient HVAC equipment. Important materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are especially scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries wind back up, they’re also facing a shortage of workers compared to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also take time to train to ensure they provide reliable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these issues have slowed the gears of the HVAC industry. As equipment takes longer to arrive, people sometimes have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Fortunately, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Minimize the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively looking for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being left without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are things you can do to minimize how the HVAC product shortage impacts you.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance: Services including preventive air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make in your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more effective performance and a reduced risk of problems.
- Keep an eye out for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown may leave you stuck waiting on a replacement. Listen for unusual sounds and monitor your energy bill for evidence your HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to install a new furnace or air conditioner, it might be a better idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with existing supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment by the time you actually want it.
- Research alternative equipment: If an existing make or model is facing a shortage, exploring alternatives might open up other options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than ever.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC experts at Speedy Air Conditioning want to help reduce your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re thinking about new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get started soon. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 239-244-3439.