They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly the truth when it comes to your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a practical understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve general AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the typical problems it faces can empower you to handle little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but understanding when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into catastrophic repairs.
Your AC is an important element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Naples if you're uncertain about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are several common questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a good way to make sure it runs efficiently, and very well could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective thing you can do on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating throughout your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it ought to in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the correct filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are wanting to buy something similar.
For thorough service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at Speedy Air Conditioning to do scheduled maintenance on your system. They’ll look over your system, clean or lubricate parts that need cleaning and look for worn-out parts and potential issues.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor air conditioner equipment is functioning efficiently, it’s important to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outside unit of your cooling system is a simple way to boost its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which are attached to extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant to the outdoors. This cools the refrigerant, which then goes back inside your home so it can take in more heat from the air within your home. Cleaning the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the insides of the unit. Then, taking care not to pull hard on any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, first at the top and moving down. Commercial coil cleaners are on the market and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are sprayed on with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to loosen the grime and then gently spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray very hard, because that could ruin the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner can vary based on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how much it's used. However, pros say you should start looking into air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your air conditioner is through AC conditioner maintenance. Routine checkups from Speedy Air Conditioning consists of cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as possible, contact us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Naples.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Choosing the correct sized air conditioner for your home is crucial for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some elements to consider when deciding what size air conditioner is right for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you have to cool is one of the biggest factors. More expansive spaces necessitate more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which should minimize your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows often let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house create greater body heat, which could influence your cooling needs.
- Current HVAC system: The size and effectiveness of your current system can provide a jumping off point for identifying what you need.
Given that the size of your cooling system is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Speedy Air Conditioning, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other considerations such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and focus on customer service is why Speedy Air Conditioning is known for superb air conditioning installation in Naples.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the kind of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new air conditioner generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good thing is that new air conditioners are crafted to be exceedingly efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The cost of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that can impact the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always a good idea to get at least a few quotes from trustworthy HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Naples, reach out to Speedy Air Conditioning. We will schedule an appointment to provide you with a complimentary estimate, explain the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be brought on by multiple factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your AC is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common triggers for AC freezing up:
- Insufficient airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't properly absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, blocked return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it can get too cold and freeze up. This is usually a consequence of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Cold outdoor temperatures: Operating your air conditioner when it's very cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Most units aren't designed to perform in temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and issues with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
Speedy Air Conditioning is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Naples.
At Speedy Air Conditioning, we will make your home a comfortable and pleasant place. Our knowledgeable technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Naples and nearby areas.
If you’re seeking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-rate air conditioning installation in Naples. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact Speedy Air Conditioning today at 239-244-3439 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!