As the temp increases, so does your AC costs. To keep your cooling expenses under control you might be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Naples?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your air conditioner running all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re elsewhere, and lowering it when you get back. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the job for you.
It’s significantly more work for your system to stay at a consistent temperature for many hours. It can also result in a lot of stress on your air conditioner, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it may also result in a reduced life expectancy for your AC.
No matter what, the larger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the more your energy expenses will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your electric bills low in the summer season? Here are our ideas based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Methods to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Thermostat. The DOE says that you can conserve up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away. In the summer, it’s suggested to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s also important to forgo setting your thermostat to a lower setting than normal when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your residence any quicker, it just results in bigger electric bills. While these temperatures could appear toasty, there are additional methods to keep comfortable without having to consistently run the air conditioner.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower AC by up to 14% over the course of the warmer months. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Additionally, keeping blinds low and curtains drawn for the duration of the day helps keep conditioned air inside. There are also some window treatments designed to deliver additional insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks throughout a home permit conditioned air to quickly get out and the heat to get inside. This could lead to your AC equipment needing to work harder to keep your home comfortable and your energy bills to climb. Make certain that any gaps, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick fixes for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Arrange Regular Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your unit is always performing at its most efficient. This permits our experts to find small issues before they result in serious problems. A maintained air conditioner is generally more efficient and could even last for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest methods to assure comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature based on your everyday schedule. It works with your smartphone to notice when you’re home or away to maximize your energy efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 per year on heating and cooling costs.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioner. You can foresee a properly maintained AC unit to run for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your AC bills are skyrocketing with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for a replacement. We supply many energy-efficient air conditioners, such as ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Improve Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Speedy Air Conditioning
No one enjoys seeing their utility bill climb during the warm months. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy consumption and bills down this summer, our experts can help. Get in touch with us at 239-244-3439 or contact us online now for additional info.